Saturday, October 18, 2008

Communities of Women

Last year I wrote a paper about communities of women and I want to share a piece of the paper with you before I get to my real point.

"Communities of women is not a new concept, rather, it is one that has been around for a long time and can be found to be represented in many different forms. Not all communities are the same but most consist of women, or people who identify as women, and most communities work to challenge ideas and raise questions about the societies they live in."

I consider myself very privileged to have the friends that I do and to know that we are all completely comfortable expressing and talking about who we are. Last night I had the chance to go out with some of my friends after the film series and we pretty much just shot the shit so to say. We talk about things, and pick them apart when deemed necessary, and I really do think that we 'work to challenge ideas and raise questions about the societies they live in.'

The reason why I am talking about this now is because I think it is important for all women to have this type of community. It does not necessarily have to be with other women, but just a support system where you can vent and be yourself.

Women's History Month is a very good to time embrace a community and become involved. Talk with others about how important your community is to you. Raise questions, solve problems, just open your mind to new ideas.
If you don't have this type of community I recommend that you make one, or hell, you can join mine. But seriously, enjoy who you are and what you do and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.


Peace,
Kerrilynn

1 comment:

Erica said...

That was beautiful Kerrilynn :) You are an amazing woman and I'm glad to be able to call you my friend and even more glad that I can "shoot the shit" with you any time!!! You are a star!!!