Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Mothers

Last night's "Who's your Mama?" coffee house was an amazing event, and inspired a lot of internal thought for me about women who have influenced my life...particularly my mother. I found it very fitting then, that today in my Psychology of Women class, we talked about Mothers and Mothering. I guess I never really took very much time to realise how important my mother - and many other influential women in my life - really was until I moved 4000 km's away from home.

Last night's coffee house, and today's psych of women class, gave me two excellent opportunities to reflect on women who have inspired me. Though I never give her enough credit, my mom is one of the most amazing people I know - and I am truly blessed to have her in my life. The sacrifices she has made for me and my sister are endless, and she has made them with a smile on her face, followed by a big hug.

To whoever reads this post, I encourage you to take a few minutes (or longer) to really think about the women who influence your life. I want you to think about why they are special, and how they have helped you to become the person you are today. Maybe make a phone call or send an email after you've thought about this - because it's important to let these people know just how important they are to you.

I propose a virtual blog toast to my mom, and to all moms and women out there who continue to inspire us daily.

Cheers!

Erica

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmmm...it's been over 10 years since my own mother died...but i do think about what i got from her - some of which i never realized when she was around... for instance, although my parents were both born in 1930, married in the 50s, and had in many ways an incredibly gender specific relationship/family life (i.e.mom was a stay at home mom her whole life -- although their relationship was actually really 'equal'), i always got from her (from both of them really) an unconditional encouragement to do what i was doing... that i could and should be independent and pursue my own goals and that i didn't need to attach myself to someone else ever (if i didn't want to)... she - they really - completely supported everything academic and otherwise i ever did, even when they didn't quite get why i was still 'in school' in my 30s :)... it took me years to recognize that endless emphasis that 'being my own person' was terrific for them ... i thank her/them in my head alot for that :)